(HOUGHTON, MI.)–A hazardous waste collection event in Houghton County is scheduled for Friday, July 6, 2018 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. There is no cost for Houghton County resident flooding victims. Businesses, schools, institutions, commercial farmers and non-Houghton County residents are not eligible to participate.
Items accepted will include:
- Antifreeze/motor oil/automotive fluids
- Solvents/flammable/oil-based paint
- Latex paint
- Corrosives (acids / bases)
- Miscellaneous cleaners and toxics
- Mercury (liquid and devices)
- Batteries (mixed household)
- Medical Sharps (must arrive in rigid container)
- Fluorescent lamps
- PCB electrical equipment
- Fire extinguishers
- Propane cylinders
- Smoke detectors
- Non-controlled substance pharmaceuticals and over the counter medications
Items not accepted:
- Construction materials/debris
- Radioactive materials (other than smoke detectors)
- Shock-sensitive materials
- Standard household trash
- Yard waste
When preparing waste for the collection:
Do not mix waste materials and do not place material with damaged containers in a secondary container that is closed to prevent release/exposure during transport and collection.
Ensure labels are visible and secondary containers are marked and keep “like” containers together.
Be sure to Place containers in a lined box or plastic container to keep materials upright during transport.
Also, containers larger than a 5-gallon bucket require special approval.