(FLORENCE, WI.)– The Town of Florence is scheduled to receive $325,000 from the state of Wisconsin to replace lead water lines to about 100-households in the Florence County community. The funding, provided through the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources’ Safe Drinking Water Loan Program Intended Use Plan, will cover 90 percent of the private line replacement costs, with the homeowner paying the remaining 10 percent. The new lines are being done in tandem with the almost-completed $2.75 million water and sewer system upgrade in Florence funded by a $1.064 million grant and loans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development. Although Florence has not had a problem with lead leaching from the pipes, the situation in Flint, Michigan, highlighted the potential risks from the town’s aging infrastructure. Some of the private system pipes date back 80 to 100 years. The water and sewer main project has begun, with the private pipes. Racine, Clintonville, and Florence will get help from the state Department of Natural Resources to replace lead water lines that go into homes and other buildings. Racine is completing its own upgrades to its water system, and $500,000 in state funds will replace approximately 200-private lines with excess lead, and homeowners are getting rebates of up to $2,500 from what they pay for the work.
In Clintonville, $310,000-will help replace 140-private lines with up to $2,000 in home aid. The town of Florence in far northeast Wisconsin is getting $325,000 to fix almost 160 lead lines that serve homes, two schools, and two child care centers. The work is being done at the same time the Florence water system is getting rehabbed with USDA funds.